How to write to your MP about disability hate crime
Hate crime happens in your town, and you can help tackle it. Writing to your MP is easier than you think and, by doing so, you can show why it’s so important to fight autism and learning disability hate crime.
How to write to your MP
Writing to your MP is easy, and can help show them what issues are important to the people in their area. You can contact your MP in a few steps:
- Visit www.writetothem.com
- Search your postcode
- Click on your MP from the list
- Write your own message, or use our suggested text below, and send.
You can write your own message, or use our suggested text to tell your MP why it’s important to support #ImWithSam and work with us.
Suggested text for your letter
Copy and paste the text below into the message box, add the right information in the [square brackets] and delete anything that isn’t relevant to you.
Dear [name of your MP],
I am writing to you to express my concern about learning disability and autism hate crime and my support for the #ImWithSam campaign lead by Dimensions UK. I am concerned about learning disability and autism hate crime for these reasons:
- 73% of people with a learning disability have experienced hate crime
- Learning disability and autism hate crime is under reported and victims experience problems with getting the right support from police and issues around being taken seriously as a reliable and credible witness
- [I have/Someone I know] has been personally affected by learning disability hate crime.
Dimensions and I need your support for the following proposals which are key objectives of the campaign:
- To improve the existing methods of identifying, reporting and prosecuting learning disability and autism hate crime
- To tackle learning disability and autism hate online
Please help to fight the injustice I/others are subject to on a daily basis.
[You can tell your story of hate crime here, if you want.]
Show your support by visiting www.dimensions-uk.org or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
[First name] [Second name]
[Supported to write this by XXX]
It’s easy! Sign up now and help us achieve our eight objectives to tackle autism and learning disability hate crime.
Don’t forget to tweet or post on Facebook with #ImWithSam.