How to register to vote
Anyone who wants to vote must be registered. You can register to vote online or by post.
You can register to vote if you are:
- 18+ years old
- A citizen of Britain, Northern Ireland or the Commonwealth
- A resident of the UK
Before each election or referendum there is a deadline. You must be registered to vote before this deadline. It is usually around 2 weeks before the election takes place.
To register to vote you will need to know
- Which country you live in
- Your nationality
- Your full name and date of birth
- Your National Insurance Number
- Your address, and previous address if you have moved in the last 12 months.
You can register to vote by post by filling in a form and sending it to your local electoral office.
Download the registration form here.
You can register to vote online by following the instructions on the website.