Autism friendly screenings at Picturehouse
See an autism friendly screening of Wreck-It Ralph: Ralph Breaks The Internet (PG) on Sunday 21st April, at the participating Picturehouse cinemas listed below.
On the third Sunday of the month, most Picturehouse cinemas* host a sensory friendly screening designed to be an inclusive and welcoming environment for people with sensory sensitivities and their loved ones. Times vary depending on location, please check the list below to find out more.
We hope these screenings can act as a transition into regular cinema screenings for some of our guests, while making the cinema more inclusive and accessible for everyone who feels they will benefit from the environment.
To be aware of
- *The majority of Picturehouse cinemas host autism friendly screenings on the third Sunday of each month, except:
- City Screen, York host autism friendly screenings on the second Sunday of each month at 11.15am
- Picturehouse at FACT, Liverpool host autism friendly screenings every Sunday 11.30am
- Little Theatre Cinema, Bath only hosts autism friendly screenings in the school holidays
- Currently the following Picturehouses do not offer autism friendly screenings: Picturehouse at The National Science and Media Museum, Bradford; The Gate; The Cameo; Picturehouse Central and Dukes at Komedia
- Picturehouse cinemas host their autism friendly screenings at different times. Please click ‘See participating cinemas’ below to find a cinema near you and what time they’ll be hosting their autism friendly screening.
Sensory friendly adjustments include
- sound and lights on low
- no trailers
- freedom to move around
- take your own food and drink
- free entry for carers with a valid CEA Card.
How to book your tickets
Tickets are available to book around 5 days in advance. There are a number of ways you can book tickets for Picturehouse’s autism friendly screenings. Select the film listed as an autism friendly screening and follow the booking process:
- On the Picturehouse website (select your cinema and the film marked as ‘autism friendly’ on the schedule. Please note a £1.50 booking fee applies for online bookings.)
- Via the dedicated accessibility hotline 0207 294 7908 (standard call rates apply)
- At your local cinema.
Using your CEA Card
Picturehouse’s box office system is being updated soon to enable them to accept the CEA card. In the meantime, they will accept the CEA card for bookings in person at the box office and you can sign up for a free Picturehouse Carers Card which you can use when buying tickets in person, online or by telephone. The same criteria apply as to the CEA card, and you can apply for an annual Carers Card, in person at any Picturehouse cinema – for more information you can call their accessibility hotline on 0207 294 7908 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Download your Autism friendly cinema screenings social story template
“Although I do not have autism I went to an autism friendly screening of The Good Dinosuar because I have hypervigilance, anxiety and hallucinations…I forgot to take my anxiety medication and I was still relaxed regardless! Thank you Dimensions…the cinema is now accessible.” – Rebecca’s lovely review on our Facebook page
Which Picturehouse cinemas show autism friendly screenings and at what times?
Picturehouse cinemas across the country host autism friendly screenings.
Stay up to date
Follow DimensionsUK on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for the latest news and information.
We also send out a regular autism friendly newsletter with upcoming screenings and other news about our work.
Sign up for autism friendly updates.
We understand sensory sensitivities are unique to everyone. If you have any questions or concerns, please speak to the manager at your local cinema.
If you would like to find out more about the adjustments or share your experiences about a visit to our autism friendly screenings please complete this form.